In memory of my mother
Mila Granic

In memory of my mother <br>Mila Granic
In memory of my mother, Mila Granic
(February 18, 1941-December 20, 1995)
I support OCC(Ovarian Cancer Canada)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Canadian Payroll Association Should Talk to People to Find Out Why Many Live Paycheque to Paycheque



In the news: the majority of Canadian employees are living paycheque to paychequeand would have trouble surviving one week if they lost their jobs.

Patrick Culhane, President and CEO of The Canadian Payroll Association(which conducted the survey)was quoted in a Canadian Press story as saying, "We were surprised that people were that close to the line."

SURPRISED? Where the hell has the Canadian Payroll Association(CPA), and Patrick Culhane been for the last 20+ years? If they were anywhere near reality, they'd know that lots of people work part-time like I used to. I worked part-time 24-hours maximum per week. Wasn't by choice. The former company refused to give me more hours and full-time work and try as I might I couldn't get a second job. Trust me nobody and I do mean NOBODY wanted to help. Nobody and I do mean NOBODY gave a damn!(I could tell you stories that would make you cry if you knew how I really lived then).

Many others are in the same situation I was in. It's hard to survive on two part-time jobs paying minimum wage let alone with one minimum-wage job or no matter the pay it's very tough to survive on part-time work. Even with small wage increases the work was still part-time so I was still behind on bills and using the extra wage money to pay those bills(meaning can't put it in the bank). I finally got full-time(recently)when the former company was sold and the new owners(THANK GOD!)gave me full-time work with lots more hours so I can live like a human being again. For the first time in 22 years I have money in my wallet from one pay to the next(I get paid weekly). And putting money away into my credit union is much easier now.

Others aren't as fortunate as I am and I do get paid well(not saying how much) though when I started in my job I was making $4.35 an hour(but that was 22 years ago).

Though I'm truly grateful for the new company giving me full-time work, I'm still catching up on bills I was behind on(due to working part-time and unable to get a second job). Money I'm paying on bills that should have been paid long ago and that money(for the previous bills) which I wish was in my savings account instead. You can't save money for a rainy day when you're paying overdue bills along with the new bills.

As I said many people are in the same situation. Yes MANY so I find it very odd that The Canadian Payroll Association never bothered asking any people why they live paycheque to paycheque. If they did they'd get very similar stories to mine. And then they wouldn't be in shock. Seems to me Mr. Culhane needs to get out more amongst the real people and ask them himself. So then he'll have a better understanding of why people can't save for retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, What's On Your Mind?